It’s Heart Health Awareness Month and there’s no better time to enjoy a heart healthy beets recipe.
- 2-3 lbs of beets (any kind will do)
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Chardonnay or any table red wine
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- ½ bunch of Mint, Chiffonade
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry your beets, then give them a rub down with a little olive oil.
- Place them all together in aluminum foil and wrap them up tightly.
- Roast for at least 45 minutes. While the beets are roasting, whisk together balsamic, white wine vinegar, the Chardonnay and honey to create a dressing. (Make sure all of the honey is dissolved into the mixture.)
- Once the beets are cool enough to touch, gently peel away the outer layer of skin to expose the juicy red beet inside. You can either slice the beets for a thin round disc shape or you can dice as seen in the picture. (Wear gloves while processing the beets to avoid staining!)
- Place all of your cut beets in a bowl and pour the dressing over the beets. Toss to combine and then top with the chiffonade mint.
About Seasonal Roots
Since 2011, Seasonal Roots’ online farmers market has connected Virginia families with local family farmers who use sustainable, humane practices. Our neighborhood market managers – who believe in living better through scrumptious, healthy eating, being kind to animals, protecting the environment, and spreading joy – home-deliver freshly harvested produce, pastured eggs, grassfed dairy and meat, plus artisan fare. We empower our members to eat better and live better with more nutritious, flavorful food that’s good for us and good for the planet. More info at seasonalroots.com.