By Member Shari Carrithers
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup apple sauce (see ingredients below)
1 cup honey
2 cups whole wheat flour (can substitute all-purpose)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup walnuts
Cream cheese frosting
3 medium sized apples
1/2 – 1 cups water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1. Peel and slice apples.
2. Place in pan on medium heat with water until apples are soft. Begin mushing apples.
3. Once water has evaporated, add cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In large bowl, beat eggs on high speed until foamy (1 minute). Add honey and beat for another 4 minutes. Then blend in olive oil, vanilla and applesauce.
4. Add in the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time and mix until incorporated into the batter.
5. Fold in the carrots and walnuts.
6. Pour into cake pans or muffin pan for cupcakes.
Cakes (2): bake for25-30 minutes, cupcakes 15 minutes.
7. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Add additional walnuts if desired. Mix walnuts with honey for additional touch.