Asian Lettuce Wraps
From Member Caitlin Hagarty
1 head hydroponic Bibb lettuce
1 green pepper
2 stalks fresh green onion, chopped
2 large whole carrots, finely chooped
3 radishes, peeled
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp minced ginger
1/8 cup Asian chile pepper sauce (or to taste)
1 package Asian cellophane noodles
1. Rinse Bibb lettuce off using salad spinner, but be sure to be gentle as the leaves are delicate and can easily tear. Arrange the lettuce into “cups” and leave on side with carrots, radishes, a few green onions as garnishments for later.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir beef and oil in skillet until medium browned and crumbled. Take meat off heat, drain and discard grease – transfer beef to a bowl.
3. In the same skillet, cook and stir in chopped onion and green pepper until tender. Add hoisin, garlic, soy, ginger, chile pepper sauce to the onions. Mix well. Once heated and mixture is a fluid texture, add beef and green onions. Stir the mixture until onions begin to brown and all ingredients combine.
4. Take beef mixture off heat and cover so steam will keep the mixture warm Fill medium sized pot with water and bring to a boil. Quickly blanche cellophane noodles. about 1 min in the water. Drain noodles and leave in a bowl on the side.
5. Inside one Bibb leaf, arrange 1 1/2 tbsps of meat mixture with a few peeled carrots, radishes, and cellophane noodles. Roll contents inside leaf, munch down and enjoy! Feel free to also add green onion as extra garnishment
Note: extra sauces can be added to enhance flavor, such as peanut sauce, siracha, beef broth, etc